This is an English translation of the genocidal call that was broadcast by the Ethiopian Satellite Television (ESAT) on August 6, 2016. You can find the Amharic video message published and downloaded from the ESAT channel online below.
Urgent call to the people of Ethiopia from the Entire Amhara people in Gondar
To the Ethiopian Satellite Television and Radio Washington DC, USA; Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oromia Media Network Washington DC, USA
Re: A call to reclaim our freedom, which we have been unable to regain peacefully, through whatever forceful measure necessary
On August 5, The Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) which the Ethiopian people have been struggling against for the past 25 years in the hopes that they would learn from their mistakes and injustices have on August 5, 2016, have deployed their usual ploy and crossed Soreka and Sanja passes at night, assigned their own cadres as guards, and launched a campaign to massacre and exterminate us.
The campaign aimed to frighten the people of Gondar, who have become a headache to them, and stop the struggle that is gaining momentum in the country. However, the heroic people of Gondar came out en masse to encircle the cadres and protect the people and their surroundings. We thank our region’s riot police and militia, who stood by our side by ignoring the orders of this brutal, oppressive minority group; it was a great source of strength for us.
Dear people of Ethiopia,
As you can see, our struggle is not like the typical struggle between a so-called oppressive government and oppressed people as occurs across the world. The struggle is between those who wish to destroy our race and rule over us and the rest of us Ethiopians whose misery has been unending. This is evidenced by the war waged against the people of Gonder by Tigrayan soldiers.
We have also received information that there is an arrogant and contemptful plan to use Tigrayan only forces to take control of Amhara, the vast Oromo, and Southern Ethiopia by controlling two roads:
- starting from the Arassa Lasta through Belesa to the South Gondar and then West and East Gojjam using the Temben-Sekota-Lalibela road,
- from Muketuri to Selalie using the Temben-Sekota-Lalibela road
- North Shoa using the Dessie-Addis Ababa road
Dear people of Ethiopia,
This deadly plot is aimed at 95 million people by 5 million by using unconscionable villains and political sell-outs such as Hailemariam Desalegn and his likes. It is also unfortunate that the 5 million are serving and being used by ten or so leaders at the top and those close to 10,000 around them.
Ethiopians have been begging in various ways for these well-to-do Tigrayans to join the struggle and fight for peace. If that is not possible, we have been urging Tigrayans to distance themselves and show those at the top that they are on their own. However, instead of heeding our request, they have demonstrated their allegiance to them and engaged in psychological warfare to ridicule and humiliate us. What we have gained so far from this is death and humiliation.
Our 25 years of peaceful protests have not resulted in anything. So, what are we waiting for? Are we waiting for them to finish us off one by one? From now on, it is foolish and naive to expect any solutions through dialogue.
Whether we like it or not, there is only one option: pay them back in their own coin and use force to restore our freedom. One way of getting rid of rotten fish is to drain the sea.
Dear people of Ethiopia,
There is no doubt that pent-up frustration after patiently waiting for the right thing can only result in remarkable things. Therefore, we call on all of you, wherever you are – without any hesitation, – to start taking action as follows:
- To all Ethiopians in the Amhara Region: You must block roads to Tigray to stop TPLF’s movements. First, Tigray to Addis Ababa road via Dessie. Second, from Woldiya to Wereta; from Shire to Gondar; from Humera to Gondar; and from Metema to Gondar, just like the now blocked roads around Gonder. All of you must come out and block every road to Tigray using stones and tree trunks to stop TPLF’s movement.
- To our people in Afar: You must block the roads to Tigray, such as the Wiiha-Shekhit-Afdera road, as well as the roads that take to Asayita using stones and tree trunks to stop TPLF’s movements
- To all Ethiopians serving in the army: We do not need to tell you that you did not join the military to serve ten or so tyrannical Tigrayan leaders, a few traitors from our region, to ensure Tigrayan hegemony. Therefore, if possible, take military action against those on the top of the command serving as your superiors. If not, stay at home until you’ve understood the truth because when you do so, we want you alive and to join us because you are our brothers and sisters. We understand your agony and dilemma.
- To all Ethiopians: What we have gained through our peaceful struggle has been arrest, beating, death, and losing our race. Therefore, we have to collectively say ‘enough’ and decide that this should stop. Thus, the measures we take to protect ourselves are natural and legal. Therefore, we request Ethiopians to accept our call and stand with us.
Victory for Ethiopians and Ethiopia,
With best regards,
Amharic Transccription: የኢትዮጵያ ህዝብ የትግራይን ህዝብ እንድያጠፋ በኢሳት የተላለፈው ጥሪ