This week marks the fourth month since Abiy Ahmed, his Amhara expansionist partners, and his arch partner-in-crime, Isaias Afewerki launched their brazen attack against and open invasion on the people of Tigray. Thousands of civilians have been massacred, hundreds of thousands forcibly displaced from their homes, civilian installations and infrastructures systematically destroyed.
The genocidal campaign against the people of Tigray has since been gathering pace in clear defiance of the ordinary notions of international law and laws of war. The Government of Tigray appreciates the concerted effort the international community has been exerting to expose, condemn and hold to account the evil deeds of Abiy Ahmed and Isaias Afewerki’s forces as well as their Amhara Expansionist partners and to call attention to the plight of, and extend humanitarian support for the people of Tigray.
In this regard, the Government of Tigray would like to commend the United States institutions and more particularly the Biden Administration for their principled position against war crimes and all forms of impunity. Their strong stand in the UN Scurity Council attests to this firm position. The Government of Tigray remains committed to allowing humanitarian access while at the same time reserving its right to defend the interests of its people by force when necessary. While we hope and expect the International Community in general and the United States and its partners in the UNSC in particular to make good on their promise to act, we believe the ultimate solution against occupation is in the hands of the people of Tigray and its Defense Forces.
Despite shamelessly protesting its innocence and profusely promising to allow access to humanitarian agencies and international investigation into allegations, Abiy Ahmed’s regime and its partners in crime have only step up their war crimes and crimes against humanity in recent weeks and days. The Eritrean regime has been amassing even more divisions in Tigray. Abiy Ahmed and Isaias only understand the language of force, not of peace. As the statement of the US State Department clearly underlines, these forces need to unconditionally withdraw from Tigray and allow access to humanitarian agencies to extend support for the needy.
While once again reiterating our commitment to peace and respect for international laws and covenants in this conflict and our readiness to work with relevant international bodies in the furtherance of peace, the Government and Defence Forces of Tigray will continue to fight against all enemies of the people of Tigray until such time that our people are fully liberated from occupation and all perpetrators of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity are held accountable.
The Government of the State of Tigray
06 March, 2021
On February 19, 2021, the Tigray government laid out its terms for peace. It can be read in its original Tigrinya version in መርገፂ እማመ ሰላም መንግስቲ ትግራይe. A translation by Tigrai Media House is below.
A statement regarding peaceful resolution by the government of Tigray
The people and government of Tigray fully understand that war brings human loss and social and economic crises. The price of war can’t be measured in money or other material measures. On the contrary, we know that it is secured by paying priceless human life. That is why the people and government of Tigray have at all times held and continue to hold uncompromising stance regarding peace.
Therefore the people and government of Tigray are always prepared to resolve the invasion that we are currently confronted with through peaceful means. Even before we entered into war, not because it was our first choice, but because we were forced into it. Today also, it will not be (our first choice). Because the people of Tigray undertook the election of its administrators, since the fascist clique of Abiy closed all avenues of peace, invited foreign invading forces and has continued to inflict injustice on us aiming to annihilate us as a people, we are currently fighting by holding an unshakable stance that our existence shall be secured by our blood and bones; and (as a result) are achieving a succession of victories.
However, we would like to affirm, as a people and a government, that, even today, we are prepared to resolve the situation through peaceful means.But we are going to engage in peaceful negotiations if, and only if, the following preconditions are fully actualized.
- The alien invading force of PFDJ (Eritrea) should leave the land of Tigray immediately. And the fact that it has left has to be confirmed by independent international body. It’s only then (that we’ll negotiate).
- The sovereign territory of Tigray should be secured and those enemies of ours who are engaged in partitioning the land of Tigray to the south, North West, west and east leave the areas and the territorial integrity of Tigray is secured. It’s only then (that we’ll negotiate).
- The body that has been instituted by enemies in the name of interim administration should be dismantled and the administration of Tigray, which has been elected by the people, is allowed to return to its place. It’s only then (that we’ll negotiate).
- An international independent investigative body has to be instituted, conditions should be facilitated to enable it to freely investigate the genocide and war crimes that have been inflicted on the people of Tigray and it should start its work. It’s only then (that we’ll negotiate).
- More than 4.5 million people of Tigray, who were displaced and exposed to severe social crisis, as the result of the invading forces should be made to receive emergency humanitarian aid, the international organizations that come to give humanitarian aid should be given unrestricted access. And the land of Tigray should be opened from end to end to journalists and international humanitarian agencies.
- An international independent body has to be instituted and start work to investigate the property of the people, investors and government of Tigray that has been invaded and destroyed.
- The politicians and other children of Tigray who are arrested as the consequence of the present situation should be released without any preconditions.
- The peace negotiation has to be mediated by independent international body. It’s only then (that we’ll negotiate).The government of Tigray
February 19, 2021
Tigray shall be victorious
Liya Kassa, spokesperson of the government of Tigray